Summer Foot Health – part 2
Athlete’s foot – the basics
Athletes’ foot is a fungal infection that is mainly a result of a moist, damp, humid environment in which fungi likes to grow. The particular fungi that causes athlete’s foot is called Trichophyton and the medical term for the infection is Tinea pedis (just in case you need a question for your next Zoom quiz!) This usually presents with redness, heat, small blotches, itchiness that occurs between the toes and on the soles of the feet.
Here are some basic tips on helping you win a gold medal and not getting athlete’s foot:
- As the weather is humid it is important to wash your feet, especially between the toes, using an anti-bacterial soap if you wish. Then dry them thoroughly and this will reduce the chance of athlete’s foot becoming established.
- If your feet sweat a lot an absorbent foot powder can be used after washing. Very sweaty feet can be controlled with the use of Sikoped insoles. These magic insoles contain active ingredients which actually work to regulate the sweat glands. They don’t just absorb excess perspiration, they will actively reduce the amount of sweat produced. We have these in stock at the clinic.
- When we are able, use flip flops if you are visiting swimming pools as this will protect your feet from verrucae as well as athlete’s foot.
- Wearing socks made of natural fibres to help wick moisture away from your feet can help, and let your shoes dry out between wearing.
If you are unlucky enough to end up with an infection:
- Use a cream or spray twice daily to the infected areas. We stock Daktarin Gold and Grisol at the clinic.
- When you think the infection has gone, keep on for another couple of days to be sure. It only takes a stray spore to survive the treatment and it will take you back to square one.
- It is important to treat your shoes as well as your feet or you could reinfect yourself next time you put them on. Clinisept+ spray is great for deodorising shoes – if sprayed into shoes until the material is damp and then allowed to dry overnight it will kill any bacteria (which are responsible for odour) and fungal spores, leaving your shoes fresh. We also stock Clinisept+ – ask at Reception about our refill service.
Wishing you happy feet,